Since the 1990’s Jamie Oliver has been carving out his career in cooking. He was even awarded an MBE for his contributions in 2003.
The celebrity chef is the second best-selling British author behind J.K. Rowling and from his 15-minute meals to his Italian Christmas, Jamie’s always serving up some of the best cooking programmes TV can offer.
Episode 1 aired on September 2nd and saw Jamie make a meat-free cottage pie.
Ingredients for your meat-free cottage pie
To create Jamie’s vegetarian take on a classic, here’s what you’ll need…
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 swede
- half a celeriac
- 2 washed leeks
- a pinch of cumin seeds
- 1.2kg potatoes
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms
- 600ml boiling water
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp marmite or vegemite
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin of lentils
- a knob of butter (for mashed potatoes)
- salt and pepper
- a dash of milk (for mashed potatoes)
- CHEFFY STUFF: Five facts you need to know about Elizabeth Bourgine – Celebrity MasterChef!
How to make the cottage pie
This Great British classic is brimming with caramelised root veg and hearty flavours. Here’s how to rustle up this stunning meat-free dinner…
- Step 1: Grab a large casserole pan and put it onto a medium heat. Then, add some olive oil and the sprigs of rosemary. After one minute remove the rosemary.
- Step 2: Now, chop up the veg including the swede, celeriac and leeks. Add them to the pan as well as the cumin.
- Step 3: Boil the potatoes in salted water. Then, add the dried porcini mushrooms to 600 ml boiling water in a blender. Leave to infuse then add one red onion and the Marmite or Vegemite. Lastly, add three tablespoons of tomato puree and give it a whizz.
- Step 4: Now, pour the gravy over the vegetables and add a tin of lentils and mix. Loosen with water and let it cook down for 20 minutes.
- Step 5: Mash the potatoes with butter, seasoning and milk. Then top the cottage pie with the mashed potato. Lastly, put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 190 degrees Celcius.
- SEE ALSO: Treasure Island with Bear Grylls: Meet the cast on Instagram – Ruby, Elissa, Marco!
WATCH JAMIE’S MEAT FREE MEALS ON MONDAYS AT 8 PM ON CHANNEL 4.