At times Channel 4’s 24 Hours in Police Custody provides viewers with real-life gruesome tales.

And episode 6 (Monday, April 15th) was no exception.

This horror story saw the Cambridgeshire Police travel across Europe to find the answers about who killed Dzilva Butiene.

Read on to find out about convicted killer Kestutis Bauzys and where he is now.

Police investigate the sudden death of Dzilva Butiene in Wisbech.

What happened in episode 6?

Dzilva Butiene reportedly died of a ‘sudden death’ in a flat in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire in April 2017.

After the police arrived on the scene, they noted she looked of “poor health” and a declared her death as a random accident.

However, because of the bruising on her body and evidence of what appeared to be strangulation, the detectives treated the case as murder.

Who was Dzilva Butiene?

The 48-year-old woman moved to Wisbech from Lithuania on the invitation of Kestutis Bauzys in 2014.

Because the two had known each other at school, he invited Dzilva after her 21-year marriage broke down and she was seeking out a new life.

But things were far from good after the move, as Dzilva entered a controlling and abusive relationship with Kestutis.

Despite suffering from cancer and struggling with alcohol addiction, Kestutis ultimately would be the one to tragically kill Dzilva.

Picture of Dzilva Butiene in her family home in Lithuania

Kestutis’s arrest

The major crimes unit cited the cause of death as blunt force trauma to the chest and stomach, indicating a punch or kick.

Upon returning to Kestutis’ house, he had fled the scene and he was only discovered a week later, sleeping in a tent in the woods outside of Wisbech.

He was arrested on April 13th, 2017.

Police found Kestutis Bauzys intoxicated in a tent by the A47.

What really happened?

Despite claiming Dzilva was still breathing when he called the ambulance, a trip to Lithuania to visit her mother revealed a different story.

Her mother claimed Kestutis had called her the night of her death and claimed she was dead before he called the ambulance.

However, her statement to the police also included details which corroborated the police’s theory Kestutis was abusing Dzilva leading them to their main charge against him.

Where is Kestutis now?

The Cambridge Crown Court sentenced Kestutis in October 2017.

He was charged with life in prison and is serving a minimum of 17 and a half years.

He continues to serve this sentence without grant of parole.


The shocking moment AJ Odudu fainted on Celebrity SAS – what did she say about her ‘exorcist’ moment

Related Topics

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know